From City of Keene’s Climate Adaptation Plan
GOAL: Support environmentally sustainable businesses and economy.
- Review and rewrite zoning code and land development regulations in five years to include sustainable building materials, design, and energy conservation measures.
- Provide incentives for businesses to locate in Keene that produce sustainable and environmentally friendly products or that utilize sustainable principles in their production processes.
- Create an Economic Development Coordinator position within the City.
GOAL: Increase the vitality and competitiveness of local business.
- Identify economic development policies and goals that incorporate sustainability; then seek out businesses that meet those goals.
- Support business incubators to bolster local business development that provides “niche” services or products that are environmentally friendly.
- Provide assistance in the creation or identification of markets for sustainable businesses or their products.
- Create a media package that invites target companies to locate in Keene and highlights Keene’s commitment to the environment and sustainability.
- Create a way-finding system to increase ease of movement and access to key areas (e.g. downtown, evacuation routes, warm/cool shelters) of the City via alternative transportation modes and prioritize clearing of these paths in the event of emergencies.